- 1. 개인 위치정보(GPS, Global Positioning System)의 수집 및 이용 목적
- “나만의 문화유산 해설사” 서비스 내에서 <내주변 검색> 및 <길찾기> 기능에 한해 개인 위치정보를 수집‧이용하고 있음.
- <내주변 검색> 기능 : 사용자 위치 주변지역의 문화유산 정보를 제공함.
- <길찾기> 기능 : 사용자의 위치에서 문화유산까지의 길찾기 정보를 제공함.
- “나만의 문화유산 해설사” 서비스 내에서 <내주변 검색> 및 <길찾기> 기능에 한해 개인 위치정보를 수집‧이용하고 있음.
- 2. 수집하는 개인 위치정보
- “나만의 문화유산 해설사” 사용자의 GPS정보(<내주변 검색> 및 <길찾기> 기능에 한함)
- 3. 개인 위치정보의 보유 및 이용기간
- 개인 위치정보는 사용자가 <내주변 검색> 및 <길찾기> 기능을 사용하는 동안에만 이용되며, 서비스 종료 시 파기됨.(별도로 보유하지 않음)
- 사용자는 개인 위치정보의 수집·이용에 대한 동의를 거부할 할 수 있음. 단, 거부할 경우 “나만의 문화유산 해설사” 서비스 내 <내주변 검색> 및 <길찾기> 기능 이용에 제한이 따르게 됨
While all other royal palaces of Joseon have their main entrances on the south side, Changgyeonggung Palace has its main entrance, Honghwamun Gate, on the east side of the palace precinct. Historical records show that it was here at the gate that King Yeongjo (r. 1724-1776) tried to hear the views from ordinary people on the Equal Taxation Law (Gyunyeokbeop) he was to adopt in 1750. It was also at the gate that King Jeongjo (r. 1776-1800) distributed rice to poor people in 1795 as part of the commemoration of the 60th birthday of his mother, Royal Lady Hyegyeonggung Hong (1735-1815). All the royal palaces of the Joseon Dynasty were built to have three gates to the royal audience hall except for Changgyeonggung Palace which has only two because of a lack of space.
As its name suggests, Okcheongyo ('jade stream bridge') was where officials 'cleansed their mind and body' before having an audience with the king at the royal audience hall. The bridge features a pair of arches and hand railings with auspicious animals on newel posts, and the central pier carved with demonic faces which are intended to repel evil forces invading the palace through the water flowing under it. Other Joseon palaces have similar bridges, including Yeongjegyo in Gyeongbokgung Palace and Geumcheongyo in Changdeokgung Palace. The bridge was built to be part of Changgyeonggung Palace when it was built in 1484, and designated as the Treasure No. 386.""
The paved road linking Honghwamun and Myeongjeongmun, the outer and inner entrances leading to the Changgyeonggung’s royal audience hall, is consisted of three lanes of which the middle lane was used by the king alone whereas the two lanes flanking it by civil and military officials respectively.
As the inner gate of Changgyeonggung Palace, Myeongjeongmun had, just like the palace’s main entrance, galleries on either side running south to north.
The original structure of Myeongjeongjeon Hall, the royal audience hall of Changgyeonggung Palace and hence the most important palace building, was destroyed by fire in 1592 when Japanese forces invaded Korea, starting the seven-year war called Imjinwaeran in Korea. The current building was erected during the reign of King Gwanghaegun (r. 1608-1623) and remains the oldest of all the palace buildings of Joseon existent today. The hall was sometimes used as a venue for state examinations and state banquets, including those held in honor of the aged. The hall was particularly actively exploited for various royal celebrations during the reign of King Seongjong (r. 1469-1494) who, enthroned at the age of thirteen, had many senior royal family members to take care of, including his great grandmother Queen Jeonghui (1418-1483), grandmother Queen Ansun (ca. 1445-1498), and mother Queen Sohye (1437-1504).
Unlike the throne hall Myeongjeongjeon facing east, Munjeongjeon Hall faces south. The hall was built to be used as a council hall where the king met government officials to discuss and deliberate state affairs. It was also used as a venue for the memorial services held in honor of the royal ancestors of Joseon. The two main halls of Changgyeonggung Palace, Myeongjeongjeon and Munjeongjeon, are currently connected by galleries while in the past there were galleries south of Munjeongjeon as well, providing passages protected against rain and snow. The hall is also famous for its connection with Crown Prince Sado who had to be tragically killed by his father King Yeongjo amid intense factional conflict of the period.
Munjeongmun is a gate providing an entrance to Mujeongjeon Hall. Original palace buildings around the gate were demolished during the colonial period (1910-1945) and most of these, including the Eastern Gallery (Donghaenggak) and the gate itself, were restored in 1986. The long roofed corridors linking the gate and Munjeongjeon Hall have yet to be restored.
As the name of the building, Sungmundang ('Hall for the Exaltation of Learning'), suggests, it was where Joseon monarchs residing in Changgyeonggung Palace exchanged ideas about Chinese classics with their ministers and Neo-Confucian students of Seonggyungwan, the highest-degree educational institution of the Joseon Dynasty. King Yeongjo (r. 1724-1776) stated about the hall in 1742: 'Our ancestors set up this hall to elevate learning. That I today supervise this test in person also intends to express our veneration for learning, so I hope all of you bear this in mind.' There is in the interior of the hall a plaque inscribed with a four-character idiom (日監在玆, Il-Gam-Jae-Ja, literally, 'supervision exists every day in this place'), admonishing readers to 'venerate what should be respected because the heaven looks down at us.
Binyangmun Gate is located behind Myeongjeongjeon Hall, providing an entrance between Outer Palace, where political activities took place, and Inner Palace, where the activities of daily life took place. The word 'Binyang' means 'honorable reception of the brilliance' which symbolizes the king.
This pavilion style building facing south has a fairly large yard receiving a lot of sun Joseon kings favored. King Yeongjo and King Jeongjo were particularly fond of the pavilion, using the building to congratulate young talents who newly passed state examinations and held conferences on Chinese classics, such as The Doctrine of the Mean (Zhongyong) and Classic of the Mind (Xinjing), exchanging views with their government officials. The building is now open on all four sides, but originally had walls on three sides as shown by Eastern Palaces (Donggwoldo), a painting of early 19th century depicting two royal palaces of Joseon, Changgyeonggung and Changdeokgung.
This palace building was used as the official residence for the mothers and grandmothers of some Joseon kings, including Queen Dowager Insu (1437-1504) who mothered King Seongjong (r. 1469-1494) who established Changgyeonggung Palace, Queen Inhyeon (1667-1701), and Royal Lady Hyegyeonggung Hong (1735-1815). The hall is also famous as the King Jeongjo’s birthplace. Historical records say that Crown Prince Sado, the king’s father, dreamt of a dragon descending from heaven three years after he began to serve as regency. He painted the dragon he saw in the dream on a wall inside the hall, but the painting has not survived.
Hwangyeongjeon Hall was used as a residence or council hall by some Joseon kings. It was here that King Yeongjo (r. 1724-1776) ordered his son Crown Prince Sado (1735-1762) to serve as a regent in 1749. The prince, then just a fifteen-year-old boy, asked the king to withdraw the order, but of no avail, and had to suffer a harsh learning period. It was also here that King Jungjong (r. 1506-1544) had his disease cured by a famous female royal practitioner Dae Jang-geum (or Dae Jang Geum). According to the Veritable Records (Sillok), she worked for his queen consort and queen mother, and received a prize from the king for her devotion and achievement.
Tongmyeongjeon Hall was the official residence for the queen consorts of Joseon who lived in Changgyeonggung Palace which also served as the administrative center for the affairs of the female members of the royal family and aristocracy, and court ladies. The hall is also related with Huibin Jang (?-1701), one of the King Sukjong’s secondary wives, who buried dead birds and rats under a stone step in front of the hall under a superstitious belief that it would expel the rightful occupant of the building, Queen Inhyeon (1667-1701), from the palace and give her the position of principal queen consort. Her plan succeeded, but only briefly. Her evil scheme was eventually disclosed to the king who ordered to poison her to death. The incident led King Sukjong to make a law banning promotion of secondary royal wives to the principal queenship.
This building standing east of Tongmyeongjeon Hall was used as a residence for King Injo (r. 1623-1649) after he returned from Samjeondo after a disgraceful surrender to Qing in 1637. It was also here in Yanghwadang, rather than in the throne room, that the king held government meetings and received Qing envoys.
This small building east Jipbokheon House was used as a residence for King Jeongjo (r. 1776-1800) when he stayed in Changgyeonggung Palace. The king did not want any decoration for the house, keeping in mind the poverty his people had to endure, and even didn’t mind staying in a room with a ceiling leak. It was also in this house that he died of a malignant tumor at the age of 49, after a reign of over 24 years.
It was in this house that in 1735 Royal Lady Yeongbin Yi, one of the King Yeongjo’s secondary wives, gave birth to a prince who would later be Crown Prince Sado (1735-1762) and in 1790 a King Jeongjo’s secondary wife Royal Lady Subin Bak gave birth to his son who would grow to be King Sunjo (1800-1834). King Yeongjo was extremely pleased at the birth of Crown Prince Sado because he lost his first son due to an untimely death at the age of ten and had to wait seven more years until he became forty years of age to have his heir.
The stone wind Streamer pedestal in Changgyeonggung Palace is believed to have been set up during the reign of King Yeongjo (r. 1724-1776) to measure wind speed and direction. The pedestal is 228.1 centimeters tall, and designated as the Treasure No. 846.
The sundial called Angbuilgu (literally, 'sundial in the shape of upturned cauldron') was first made in 1434 when Joseon was under the King Sejong’s reign and is designed to indicate local apparent solar time and the twenty-four solar terms. The particular item in the precincts of Changgyeonggung Palace is a replica of the original now designated as the Treasure No. 845.
This stone placenta chamber located in Changgyeonggung Palace was built to enshrine the placenta and the umbilical cord of King Seongjong (r. 1469-1494). It was originally in Gwangju of Gyeonggi-do but, as it was considered the most beautiful of all the remaining heritage of the type, moved to the current location where Yi Royal Household Museum was set up during the colonial period (1910-1945). The Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) maintained the tradition of storing the placentas of the royal heirs at the auspicious sites across the country under a belief that they were directly connected with the destiny of the dynasty.
There are in Changgyeonggung Palace two ponds called by the same name Chundangji ('Spring Pond') of which the smaller one at the back is the original Chundangji which existed since the Joseon Dynasty. The larger pond in the front had been a field called Naenongpo, or 'Inner Field,' containing eleven paddies where the Joseon kings living in Changgyeonggung tilled the soil with ploughs drawn by an ox, praying good harvest. The field was an important part of the tradition Joseon kings preserved to show an example for their people, promote farming, and share the toilsome labor farmers had to endure.
This stone pagoda standing beside Chundangji Ponds is 6.5 meters tall, featuring an octagonal seven-story structure in Chinese style. The pagoda is largely consisted of four parts, the foundation, lower body, main body, and finial. The lowest two parts are comparatively taller than Korean pagodas, resulting in a lack of stability characterizing the latter.
The Grand Greenhouse standing north of Chundangji Ponds is a glasshouse designed by Hukuba Hayato, a Japanese who also designed the Japanese Imperial Arboretum, and built by a French company. The buildings made by the Japanese colonial authority were demolished during the process of restoring Changgyeonggung Palace except for the glasshouse. The building was spared for its architectural value, as it is the first building to appear in Korea whose structure is consisted of steel, timber and glass. The greenhouse was built along with the zoo according to the decision of the Japanese colonial authority to please King Sunjong (r. 1907-1910) who was staying in Changdeokgung Palace and used for the display of rare plants including ornamental plants from the tropical region. It began to be used for the cultivation of Korean native plants after the completion of the restoration of Changgyeonggung Palace in 1986, and was designated as the Registered Heritage No. 83 in 2004.
This small pavilion was built in 1642 on the side of a passage leading to Jipchunmun Gate linking Grand Greenhouse and Seonggyungwan. The pavilion is known to have been used as an archery facility together with the wide open space in the front which was also used for military drills and military examination venue. The pavilion was set up as Chwimijeong Pavilion in 1643, and changed its name to the current one in 1664.
This astronomical observatory, now designated as the Treasure No. 851, was built in 1688 to observe the movement of heavenly bodies via using an armillary sphere. The observatory was managed by the Meteorological Office (Gwansanggam), a government agency responsible for the observation of the movement of the sun, moon, and stars, change of time according the change of seasons, and the twenty-four solar terms. The information gathered by the agency was productively exploited by the farmers of Joseon.
Seoninmun located south of Honghwamun Gate, the main entrance of Changgyeonggung Palace, was used by the officials working in various government agencies in the palace. The gate is also related with several tragic incidents the royal family of Joseon had to endure. King Yeonsangun (r. 1494-1506), for example, left the palace through this gate when he was sent into exile following the Restoration of King Jungjong in 1506. It was also through this gate that Royal Lady Huibin Jang (?-1701) left the palace after she was punished to death for her treacherous act that led to the death of Queen Inhyeon (1667-1701). The tragic death of Crown Prince Sado (1735-1762) took place in the prince’s residence inside the gate.
Located in the wall north of Honghwamun Gate, Wolgeunmun Gate was built in 1779 by King Jeongjo (r. 1776-1800). As the name of the gate 'Wolgeun' (which literally means 'monthly audience') suggests, the gate was set up to materialize the king’s vow to visit Gyeongmogung Shrine to pay his homage to his father, Crown Prince Sado, whose spirit tablet was enshrined there. King Jeongjo kept his vow, indeed, and visited the shrine once or twice every month for twenty four years during which he served as king of Joseon.
There is on a hilly area behind Tongmyeongjeon Hall a site where King Jeongjo built a residence called Jagyeongjeon Hall for his mother Royal Lady Hyegyeonggung Hong. The king chose the site because it had a fine vantage point overlooking Gyeongmogung Shrine which housed the spirit table of his father, Crown Prince Sado, who died a tragic death before being crowned. When it stood, Jagyeongjeon displayed a grander structure than even Tongmyeongjeon, traditionally used as the official residence for queen consorts, highlighting the King Jeongjo's filial piety for his mother. The building was destroyed by fire in 1873, leaving the site to a royal depository library which was built in 1911 by the Japanese colonial authority. The Japanese style building was demolished in the 1980s when the Korean government launched the Changgyeonggung Palace Restoration Plan.